Sep 6, 2023
Roosevelt Enajekpo, Owner
Fyzical Therapy & Balance Centers
1129 Bloomfield Avenue, Suite 215
West Caldwell, NJ
What are your goals for physical therapy?
This question is often asked during an evaluation but is sometimes difficult to answer. Many patients say, “To get rid of my pain” or “To get back to normal,” but what does that actually mean? Here are some questions to help you think about your goals and what you want to achieve during your time at physical therapy:
- What activities are most important to you at home, school, work, or during your leisure time?
- What activities would you like to do independently that currently require help from others?
- What activities would you like to do but are limited or unable to do because of your symptoms?
- How often do your symptoms affect you? What would be a meaningful change in frequency?
- How severe are your symptoms? What would be a meaningful reduction in symptoms?
- Which challenges do you want to try to improve first? What will make the biggest difference in improving your life?
- Which activities that require assistance do you want to gain more independence in first?
- What do you think is a reasonable outcome? What would be your ideal outcome?
- What evidence would help you believe you were making progress toward your goals?
- How long do you think it will take to reach your goals? How long would you like it to take?
The more specific you can be with your goals, the more tailored your treatment can be to help you get back to the activities you were previously able to do. By identifying specific, measurable, and achievable goals, you provide your physical therapist with the information necessary to develop a personalized care plan for your individual situation.
Do you need help getting back to loving your life? Call Fyzical Therapy & Balance Centers at (862) 348-5200 to schedule a physical therapy evaluation today.